The Keto Diet is is a low-carb and high-fat diet. Carbohydrate is reduced and replaced with fat. With the reduced carbs, your body goes into a state called ketosis. In this state, your body effectively burns fat into energy. Fat is also burned in your liver, making energy for your brain.
It reduces sugar in the blood and doing so reduces insulin levels. There are 4 different ketogenic diets but we will concentrate on the standard ketogenic diet.
The Ultimate Keto Diet Food List
Figuring out what to buy can be a little daunting at first, but once you understand what is needed, it gets easier. It is filling, no need to measure your food, and it is delicious. Take a look at the food list and prepare some menus beforehand.
Moderate levels of red meat, ham, bacon, chicken, turkey and sausage. Meat contains no carbs and is rich in Vitamin B, potassium, zinc, selenium and other minerals.
It is a high source of protein that preserves muscle mass, lowers HDL cholesterol levels, and omega-3 fats. Grass-fed animals have higher amounts of omega-3 fatty acids than grain-fed animals.
A large egg contains 1 gram of carbs and less than 6 grams of protein and is perfect for the keto diet.
Seafood and Fatty fish
Shellfish and Salomon are practically carb-free and rich in Vitamin B, selenium and potassium. Anchovies, Sardines, Swordfish, Alaska Pollock, Mackerel, Trout, Tuna and Atlantic Herring contain EPA and DHA omega-3 fats that are great for your body.
It has been proven that people who include nuts in their diet live longer than people who do not eat nuts. They are great for a mid-morning snack for an energy boost. You should eat 1-ounce serving and the best nuts are:
* Brazil nuts
* Macadamia nuts
* Pecan Nuts
* Pine nuts
Do not eat nuts that are coated with oils and sugars!
- arugula – used in salads and reduces the risk of diabetes, heart disease and obesity
- aubergine (eggplant) – vitamins B1 and B6, high in minerals copper, magnesium and manganese
- artichokes – has powerful nutrients
- broccoli – vitamins K and C and builds collagen,different colors of bell peppers -vitamin C and vitamin B6
- Brussel sprouts – Vitamin K and rich in antioxidant
- cabbage – Vitamin K and ALA Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- cauliflower – high in Choline, and a good source of fiber and antioxidants
- celery – rich in vitamins and minerals with a low glycemic index.
- fennel – great for bone health and blood pressure.
- Kale – has powerful antioxidants
- mushrooms – B vitamins, a protein source and contains selenium.
- radish – contains potassium and magnesium
- berries – blueberries, cranberries, strawberries and raspberries
- lemons and limes
Dairy on The Keto Diet Food List
- ghee and butter
- heavy cream
- soft cheese like mozzarella, brie, blue and Camembert
- hard cheese like parmesan, pepper jack, and Swiss cheese
- plain Greek yogurt
- cottage cheese
Great for a snack on the go and perfect for salads.
- pumpkin seeds
- hemp seeds
- chia seeds
- sesame seeds
- extra-virgin olive oil
- coconut oil
- avocado oil
Condiments On The Keto Diet Food List
- olive oil mayonnaise
- oil-based salad dressings
- unsweetened ketchup
Shirataki Noodles should also be on the Keto diet food list as it is also great for pasta lovers who want to stay on their diet, it is made from viscous fiber which slows down the food’s movement through your digestive system.
Coffee and tea that is unsweetened, increases your metabolism and have a low risk of developing diabetes.
This was keto diet food list of groceries to get you started on your Keto diet. As time goes on, you will feel more comfortable in trying more products to help you with your diet. But this is great for beginners or people who just want to brush up on their diet facts.